Wednesday 21 March 2012

Craftiness

As I've recently gotten more into the world of blogs, I've discovered that many blogs usually seem to have a theme...whether it's recipes or crafts, home decor or important baby information...whatever it is, it's usually got one central focus with one main target audience in mind.

Well, as you might have already noticed...I'm rebelling against that! There is just too much goodness to share! As I wrote in a previous blog, I recently discovered a love (yes...I said it...love!) for cooking and I'm enjoying finding new recipes and want to share some of my faves with you all! But I also have a huge love for home decor...it's really become a hobbie of sorts (my hubby HATES it cause he says it costs us too much $$$!) I'm also on a journey with Weight Watchers and have had so many emails and facebook messages from people asking how it's going and so I'm going to be sharing some of that journey as well in the near future!

But there is still another love of mine...and that's CRAFTS! As I recently got into Pinterest, my love for crafts has been rekindled! I actually used to love doing crafts as a kid...even into my teenage years (I just would never had admitted it back then!). I can remember there was this store called White Rose where I grew up and they had the best craft supplies! My favorite thing to make were WREATHS! (And if you follow me on Pinterest you will see that my love for wreaths is more alive then ever before!). I can remember my first real wreath that I made was a grapevine heart wreath that had silk flowers up the side with ceramic cherubs angels in the middle! I think that's when I first really realized how much I loved creating things and being crafty!

Well this was definitely put on hold during my college years and early marriage (to be honest, I kinda forgot all about crafting!) Until my recent discovery of Pinterest, coupled with a fabulous new friend who entered my life, Mandi Cresswell (who has her own blog, which is awesome and a huge inspiration for me!), I've rekindled this love for crafting! Mandi and I actually get together every Friday night at my place where we just spend the night chatting away while we craft one of many "pins" from Pinterest! It's honestly a time I look forward to every week as I get so much enjoyment from not only crafting, but spending time with such an amazing friend!

All that to say...I will be sharing some of the crafts that we make...hopefully one a week. Some are definitely way cooler then others while some are just cute and fun!...like my craft from last week! 
Dipped Spoons! This craft doesn't change anyone's life...but it does add a little color to your kitchen drawers and a smile to your face when cooking! Sometimes crafting isn't always about creating something new...it's about enhancing something you already have!

So here is the tutorial (as if you can't figure it out from the picture ;)


Dipped Spoons:
Adapted from this pin 

Take any or all of those drab, boring wooden spoons you have in your kitchen (I also used spatulas!)

Then use painters tape to tape off the section you want to paint. 


Use whatever paints you'd like. I used silver, metallic blue and black...to match my kitchen! 


 Paint spoons with a foam brush. I did multiple coats, just to make sure it was really well covered. 
Also, I used Q-tips to get into the holes.


Use a "really fancy" drying rack ;) Once they are completely dry, use a clear coat varnish to seal the paint. I used a clear coat glossy spray paint on my spoons. (Note: If you are concerned about food safety, you may want to get a special non-toxic varnish)


Let them completely dry and voila! Fancy, dipped spoons!


1 comment:

  1. I love how they turned out. And I think it will make cooking a tad more fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete