Tuesday 20 March 2012

Recipe Of The Week: Baked Egg Cups

With my new journey into Weight Watchers, I find myself trying to get a little more creative with meals...especially trying to find ones that will pack alot of punch...meaning protein...to keep me going longer in between meals. I've actually had alot of fun compiling and trying various recipes and as I'm sure you guessed, many of them come from Pinterest!

Breakfast has always been my most favorite meal of the day...for two reasons: 1) I just love breakfast foods...I could eat them really at ANY meal! And 2) I'm just SO hungry first thing in the morning. I don't know what it is...but I have to eat almost as soon as I wake up otherwise I will start feeling yucky.

With two kids under two years old and a working hubby, I find it hard to sometimes get a quick meal on the table that we can all enjoy before the hubs run out to work or either kid (or both at the same time!) has a meltdown! So when I found this recipe, I was sure it was going to be hit both in taste and in prep time! And it definitely delivered on BOTH! So simple and yet so tasty and let's even begin to talk about how CUTE they look (it's ok that I like to eat cute food!)

So here it is! Baked Egg Cups! I will post a recipe below, however, you can customize this really however you'd like! The original recipe is for 12 cups, however, I only make 6 for my little family and it's perfect!


Baked Egg Cups
Adapted from thesimpledelights

6 Eggs

6 slices of deli ham (I use the black forest ham from Costco)

Sprinkle of your favorite cheese (I use Parmesan)

Sprinkle of diced green onions (scallions)

Fresh cracked pepper & sea salt

(Remember, my version is scaled down to 6 servings, so if you want to make a full muffin tin of 12, just double everything! Easy Peasy!)

Prep:
Preheat your oven to 400. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Place one slice of ham into each muffin hole, creating a cup. Next, crack one egg into each hole and finish off with salt and pepper.


Bake the egg cups for 12 minutes, or until the egg white has set but the yoke is still runny.


Carefully remove from muffin tin and then top with cheese and green onions (or whatever topping you'd like!). Enjoy!


Nutritional Goodness:
These are 100 calories per cup. If you are following Weight Watchers, the original recipe is 3 points+ per cup. However, I don't ever use as much cheese as the recipe calls for, hence why I changed it to just a sprinkling of cheese. I use less then a 1/4 tsp per cup which counts for 0 points! Same with the ham...if you only use 1 slice, it's 0 points. This morning I did use 2 slices and I found it to be too much. So really, it's just 2 points+ for the egg!
Enjoy two of these cups with a bowl of fresh fruit and you've got one great start to your morning!

1 comment: